Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Another E-mail Hoax

There was a story circulating a few weeks ago about one of the students in Merkaz HaRav who was brutally murdered by a terrorist. The story went that he was rejected from the yeshiva because of his lack of adequate background but he did not give up and took a job as a dishwasher in the yeshiva. He studied and brought himself to the level where he was admitted as a student. You can see R. Yitzchok Adlerstein's post of the story: link. Very moving. I even told it to my kids at the Shabbos table.

R. Jeffrey Woolf is now reporting that the story is entirely false (link):

Yesterday, I received a phone call from a young member of the Merkaz HaRav faculty (the son of one of my oldest friends), who told me that aside from Doron being a big Lamdan, the story was untrue. He actually was a graduate of Kfar HaRo'eh and was, ab initio, a regular student at Merkaz.
I'm usually careful not to take seriously these kinds of stories but I guess I got caught up in the horror of the moment. Lesson learned.

The (rhetorical) question remains: Who would be so horrible as to make up such a story and, essentially, mock the recently deceased?


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More