Friday, October 09, 2009

Facebook and Responsible Communication

In this week's The Jewish Press, R. Mordechai Weiss writes:

Then came Facebook and Twitter, which took the Internet to a new level of impropriety. Things are written on Facebook that end up as lashon ha'ra and rechilut -- "Whisper Down the Lane"-type slander and insult... I firmly believe that being on Facebook leads to unavoidable temptation of defamation.
I've been on Facebook for almost two years and I have no idea what he is talking about. It's not that I'm particularly careful to avoid these things and am able to overcome my temptation. I simply have never come across anything of the sort. I've been on Twitter for less time (almost a year) and I haven't seen anything like that on Twitter either.

There are valid reasons to criticize both but I just don't understand this specific criticism.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More