Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Holiness of Yom Kippur

By: Rabbi Ari Enkin

As this week is more of a time for contemplation and introspection, mussar rather than halacha, allow me to simply leave you with something I found to be very inspirational:

"The Holiness of an ordinary weekday in Eretz Yisrael is like that of a Shabbat in Chutz La'aretz. The Holiness of Shabbat in Eretz Yisrael is like that of Yom Kippur in Chutz La'aretz. The Holiness of Yom Kippur in Eretz Yisrael cannot be found anywhere else in the world" -Zohar

I first saw this teaching shortly after making Aliya five years ago and it has been with me daily ever since. Frankly, for me it is one of the most compelling pieces of introspection and mussar – to know that I am in the palace of the King, where the Holiness is incomparably powerful - and even tangible. How those of us who live in Eretz Yisrael must properly prepare for, utilize, and appreciate Yom Kippur.

Click here for moreI implore you to keep in mind throughout the day on Yom Kippur that it is a happy day - one of the happiest days of the year, in fact! (Ta'anit 26b). It is the day that God puts His hand on your shoulder and says: "It's O.k. I forgive you." Think about it. GOD forgives YOU. As usual, I'll be with Rav Boaz and Yeshivat Lev Hatora on Yom Kippur – a place where Yom Kippur is entirely a day of simcha of ahava and yirah.

To R' Gil, my co-bloggers, readers, and friends di bechol atar v'atar – May God bless you with everything good and seal you in the book of life.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More