1. Siddur usage
2. When is change acceptable? – need for shimush (me – to have “a sense of things”). Ancillaries such as who suggested and where it might head are important. Some interesting examples given.
3. Simple vs. complex belief – starts with Rambam quoting two medrashim as to when Avraham re cognized HKB”H (yes mom – the one I spoke on at Oz Avraham’s pidyon). No source for the 2 ages rather question was which was ideal – simple belief or complex. It’s also a function of the time and the individual.
4. The nature of miracles, Yom Yerushalayim and Yom Haatzmaut – very worthwhile listening.
5. March of the living et al – when to go, what to emphasize.
Click here to read more
So I was sitting this past Shabbat with my nephew and his family in Mitzpe Ramon bewailing differing kashrut standards/nusach tfila etc. in Israel and the focus on the individual vs. the kahal and then I hear this shiur which starts with the technical detail of whether Jerusalem was split between the shvatim or not and then moves on to the “Ir shechubra la yachdav” as the great uniter of the Jews – worthwhile listening.
Why is Ruth a separate book (megila) and not part of sefer Shoftim where it belongs chronologically? Perhaps because Ruth’s story is on an upward trajectory towards malchut and Shoftim is on a downwards towards anarchy.
Lot’s history as a precursor – assimilating into local culture, Ruth revised the course.
Lots of detail. Of particular interest is the opinion of R’HS on “disposables” (but are they really one timers?) and on electronics that really get ruined by immersion (I can testify that the – “leave it dry and it will be as good as new” doesn’t always work!)
Why were the questions of resurrection of the dead and knowledge of the future paired? Perhaps (and the verse quoted supports this) to show that HKB”H exists outside of time.
Shfal Ruach – humility triggered by recognition of the emptiness of the human condition.
Kabballah is an add on, not a quick and easy substitute.
Can you send a fax/e-mail from the U.S. to Israel when it’s Shabbat in Israel and not in the U.S.? Can you fax to a non ben brit and ask him to do something? Right away?
Is it a practical societal rule or related to setting high standards for oneself? Some practical possible differences plus some mussar.
Discussion of how halacha and society have interacted and should interact in the future. Trends towards chumrah and/or flexibility? The Cardozo Academy encourages analysis and participation in the halachik enterprise including non-traditional study.
We have to be ready and prepared to receive the gift of Birchat Kohanim, which is really a Bracha from Hashem. Different interpretation of specific meanings.
The torah itself has exceptions to the rule of not holding a grudge/taking revenge. Mussar as to why the prohibition exists including need to look at self rather than others and all of us being part of one body.
Detailed discussion of blessings made on lightening and thunder.
Question of whether tchiyat hameitim is with clothes or without – metaphor for whether it’s a new start or not. Further analysis of the metaphor as well.
Ten items created ben hashmashot – why?
1. supernatural (not part of nature)
2. part of nature but not daily nature
3. not literal – just showing how important each was