A great new issue of Tradition just came in the mail (not yet available online):
- Editor's Note: Cops and Robbers by R. Shalom Carmy - Thoughts on the practice of responding to disaster by pointing to specific sins.
- Rabbinic Responses to Communism by R. Yitzchak Blau - A fascinating review of the halakhic and philosophical responses to communism.
- Ethical Dilemmas in Stem Cell Research: Human-Animal Chimeras by Dr. John D. Loike and R. Moshe D. Tendler - What does Judaism have to say about implanting human brain cells into animal fetuses?
- The Universal Nature of Pru Urvu and an Analysis of its Implications by Dr. David Nuestadter - The unique aspects of the mitzvah of procreation and its universal nature.
- A Note on R. Saul Lieberman and the Rav by R. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff - Brief but interesting musings on Prof. Saul Lieberman, particularly in relation to R. Joseph B. Soloveitchik.
- Survey of Recent Halakhic Periodical Literature: Styrofoam Cups and Utensils; Formula-Fed Veal by R. J. David Bleich - 1) The serious problems of non-kosher residue on styrofoam cups and the multiple leniencies required to permit their use. 2) Disputing certain assumptions in R. Moshe Feinstein's responsa prohibiting white veal and reviewing the recent responsa on the subject, with what seems to me to be an inclination to permit.
- Book Review: Abraham's Promise: Judaism and Jewish Christian Relations by Michael Wyschogrod (review by R. Aryeh Klapper) - Fundamental theological criticisms of this book.
- Communications: Biblical Narratives and the Status of Enemy Civilians in Wartime; Torture and the Ticking Bomb - Letters from Dr. Maier Becker and Dr. Russell Jay Hendel, and responses from R. Yitzchak Blau and R. J. David Bleich.