Sunday, May 07, 2006

Pirchei Politics

I just came back from taking my 8-year old son to the Pirchei Agudas Yisroel siyum mishnayos. I saw (and spoke with) a rosh yeshivah from YU who was there. Guess: Do you think he was asked to sit on the dais?

At the end, they showed a video Dare to Dream about the building of Torah in America. Coincidentally, everyone who built Torah in America was a rosh yeshivah affiliated with Agudath Israel (they graciously included R. Eliezer Silver despite his being just a simple pulpit rabbi). Except for the Satmar Rav, who was nevertheless (rightly) included. Rav Soloveitchik? Evidently, he did nothing in building Torah in America. As I told my son as we left, if it wasn't for Rav Soloveitchik, the school I attended where I learned Torah would never have been built.

My wife says, "What do you expect?" I keep expecting truth from the world of Torah but I guess that's wishful thinking.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More