Monday, July 11, 2005

Our Right To Speak Out On Israel II

R. Jeffrey Saks pointed me to a number of statements by R. Joseph B. Soloveitchik on this topic in his recently published letters, Community, Covenant and Commitment: Selected Letters and Communications:

"I never declared any opinion on issues [of territorial compromise in Israel] that according to my view only those Jews who are defending the borders of the land with their blood have a right to deal with." (p. 231)

"[However,] since I am not a resident of Eretz Yisrael (a point I emphasized), it is impossible for me to publicize my opinion. Diaspora Jews should not involve themselves in the internal affairs in Israel." (p. 198)

"[Q:] Do you support the peace proposal of Dr. Henry Kisssinger...?

[A:] I do not live in Eretz Yisrael and I have no right to express my opinion on these matters." (p. 235)


(An additional thanks goes to Joel Rich who also brought these to my attention)


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More