Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Flatbush Eruv

The anti-Flatbush eruv sentiment is growing vocal, in response to a pamphlet recently published that advocates a "new" (about 2 years old) eruv in Flatbush. I received this expensive Hebrew/English, multi-page and multi-color anti-eruv pamphlet in the mail. And I live outside the "new" eruv! I also saw multiple copies spread out in the shul in which I learned on Shavu'os night, and the rabbi in my father-in-law's shul spoke against the eruv twice over the holiday.

I took issue with some of his points, though. But I agree that if you did not use the old Flatbush eruv, like the majority of the "Black Hat" world who implicitly or explicitly accepted the rulings of R. Moshe Feinstein and R. Aaron Kotler that any eruv in Flatbush is invalid, then you should not be using the new one either.

(Full document available here -- large PDF)


The rabbis pictured are:

R. Yosef Shalom Elyashiv, R. Aharon Leib Shteinman, the Gerrer Rebbe, R. Shmuel Wosner and R. Chaim Kanievsky

R. Shmuel Berenbaum, R. Aharon Schechter, R. Dovid Feinstein, R. Feivel Cohen and R. Hillel David

(I should add that it is clear that publications of this sort are frequently blatant lies. I suspect that this one is not, but who really knows?)


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More