Monday, May 09, 2005

Orlofsky on Slifkin

R. Dovid Orlofsky published an official letter on the Slifkin issue and I find myself agreeing with this one:

Several months ago, a letter was signed by many gedolei Torah establishing a halachic position regarding Torah and Science. The attitude that Chazal can be wrong when it comes to science was deemed to be illegitimate...

Let me make [myself] clear; I am not saying you have to accept my view on this subject. There are gedolei Torah who disagree and feel that it is acceptable to espouse such a view. But though I try to present all the Torah views on a subject, I personally try to express the views of my Torah authorities...

You can agree with these gedolim or not, but it is inappropriate to attack them or question their competence.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More