Friday, March 02, 2007

In Defense of YCT

In the comments to this post, I suggested to a commenter that he contact R. Nati Helfgot with his questions about YCT's positions. Someone must have because R. Helfgot (whom I've known since high school, where he was a rebbe) sent me a long letter responding to criticisms of YCT for posting.

So here is my dilemma. I have no connection with YCT other than knowing (and having high regard for) a few members of the staff. I'm not a supporter of the yeshiva in any way and disagree with some of the institution's policies and general directions that I see from a distance. If I post it on this blog, I run the risk of being unfairly perceived as a spokesperson for the school. Additionally, the letter lists quite a few names in the Orthodox community and I am not entirely sure that I would personally feel comfortable dragging them into this discussion. On the other hand, I'm the one who suggested inquiring from R. Helfgot about the school's positions. How do I maintain my neutrality in this issue, avoiding being tainted as either a supporter or detractor of the yeshiva?

What I have done is started a new blog for the sole purpose of posting R. Helfgot's letter. No comments are allowed there and I do not anticipate any further posts. You can comment here but please keep it civil and on the issues, rather than on the people. I apologize to anyone whose name is mentioned in the letter but I did not want to edit R. Helfgot's words in any meaningful way.

The letter is posted here: http://InDefenseOfYCT.blogspot.com/


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More