Tuesday, February 06, 2007

More on Sideburns: R. Moshe Feinstein's Position

R. Avrohom Dubin reports:

I myself went to Rav Moshe Feinstein ZT"L and asked him why people shave above the bottom point of the ear. He responded that he interprets "lmata min haozen" to mean under the "top" of the ear (under the ear line, so to speak). Somewhat taken aback, I pressed him because that is clearly not the plain meaning of the language. He actually raised his voice to me and told me something which I have never forgotten because to me the rule he stated was more important than the actual psak. He said that "my interpretation cannot be true because the whole world holds otherwise." A rather breathtaking statement from the Gadol HaPoskim of the last generation.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More