Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Prof. Saul Lieberman on the Jacobs Affair

In 1962, during the height of the "Jacobs Affair" in which Dr. Louis Jacobs was denied a position at Jews' College due to his alleged heresy (I read his book and agree with the conclusion that it is incontrovertibly heretical), Dr. Morris Sifman was speaking at a public meeting of Jewish students and someone asked what he thought of Dr. Jacobs – he responded as follows:

“I said I thought he is dishonest because Jews College is founded on the belief of a Divine Torah, therefore Dr. Jacobs is not qualified because he rejects “Torah min Hashamyim”, if he were honest he would not pursue the position in an institution like Jews College”

After the lecture a young man approached me and said, “I would like to thank you – that was the first time I received a straightforward answer about my father.”

Dr. Sifman then wrote a letter to Prof. Saul Lieberman to inquire of his view on this subject. Below is the letter he received in response, which Dr. Sifman gave to R. Ari Kahn (who gave it to me) with explicit permission to post. I must say, I have a lot of respect for Prof. Lieberman's response.

(click on the image to enlarge it)


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More