Thursday, July 28, 2005

Happy Anniversary!

I received a phone call last night from Menachem Butler, in which he started off the conversation by saying "Happy Anniversary!" As any married man would do, I immediately started worriedly wondering whether I had actually committed the grave sin of totally forgetting my anniversary. It turns out I didn't because my anniversary isn't for another few weeks [CORRECTION: Week and a half. I should have known that.]. As should have been obvious, Menachem meant the anniversary of Austritt. 129 years ago today, the German government enacted a law that permitted Jewish sub-communities to secede from the majority Jewish community for theological reasons. Oh, how the time flies. Whether or not austritt was a good idea, I'll leave for another time.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More